Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (2008 remaster)

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (2008 remaster)


1 Xtal 4:54
2 Tha 9:07
3 Pulsewidth 3:48
4 Ageispolis 5:23
5 I 1:17
6 Green Calx 6:05
7 Heliosphan 4:53
8 We Are the Music Makers 7:43
9 Schottkey 7th Path 5:08
10 Ptolemy 7:14
11 Hedphelym 6:03
12 Delphium 5:29
13 Actium 7:36
 
 My Review : 
This is the highest regarded album from a very, very young Richard D. James, and I suppose that for its time this was modern, but alas, for 2009 does sound a little dated, and is not more than a techno which doesn't go beyond than that: much of the stuff contained in this 'Selected ambient works 85-92' is not very different to the lounge music I used to hear on a radio programme in Buenos Aires that aired DJ music to chill out on weekends after hours.
I never was too skilled to determine what it was influential as fuck in the pop music (some people 'round here seem very skilled about and I admire them), and if this was that influential or not, I couldn't say it, but one thing surely this is not: so bold and adventurous as later James works (the exception maybe is 'Hedphelym'): I really got no clue why this is so generally rated as the greatest Aphex Twin record, while in reality, it's almost his weakest; the proof is easy: you can really dance to this, and when you can dance to electronic music, it means that is not so good.
On the other hand I can understand if this is meaningful for some people: the affective factor must be respected, and I do.
 

0 comments: